Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Guns I "Need": .22 Pistol

I have an unwritten list of guns I need to buy. These are guns I desperately need for one reason or another, and I recently notched one off my list: The semi-auto large-ish caliber rifle (A 7.62x39 Vepr). It wouldn't have been next on my list but with the likelihood of some sort of gun control measure arriving soon I decided that now was the time. There are two guns that I would definitely rank higher priority in terms of practical use though, ones I have had definitive need for in the last year ever.

In terms of genuine need there were at least half a dozen times over the last year that I really should have had a.22 caliber pistol. Instead I found myself using my CZ 452 American .22 rifle that doesn't even have iron sights. Given the affordable nature of .22 caliber pistols this is something that would have made a clear cut first choice for the next gun on the list, but no one is going to ban .22's anytime soon. So what would have been among my top picks for the .22? Well let's analyze for a second.

First Criteria: Revolver or Semi-Auto?

Semi-Auto .22 pistols are extremely popular and there are a ton to choose from. Having handled and shot quite a few my interests would almost definitely be towards a Ruger Mark II, with a 6 inch tapered target barrel like the following:
I would add wood grips but that would probably be it. There are a lot of cooler looking guns out there that, but non that feel quite so solid, and elegant as this one.

However, I would almost definitely get a revolver over a .22 semi-auto.
Reason 1:
I like shooting lower power .22 variants like .22 short or .22 CB rounds to humanely dispense with intruding mice or other problematic wildlife, and semi-autos are really geared for .22LR only.
Reason 2:
I like revolvers, in general, better than semi's. Something about the revolver exudes elegance, sophistication and engineering prowess. Are revolvers simpler than semi's? No. Are they more reliable? In .22 caliber they probably are but in other calibers not necessarily. Are they easier to operate? Potentially. Are they easier to shoot or more accurate? Probably not. They just have an old world charm that really speaks to me.

So the answer to criteria number one for me is that I would get a revolver.

Criteria Number Two: Single action only or SA/DA?

For a long time I was convinced that I wanted a single action only .22 revolver, like the Ruger Single Six, but the truth is that was until I saw the Colt Official Police .22. Don't ask me why, but when I look at this picture my pulse quickens just a tad:


I need this. I don't know why. Looking around at prices I could probably get a decent one at the same price or slightly cheaper than a single six. Now it's just a game of waiting until the right time to make another gun purchase, probably a year or two from now.

The gun that is competing with the .22 pistol to be my next gun? A semi-auto shotgun.

Other guns I "need":
A deer rifle.
A muzzleloader.
A true IDPA competition pistol
An open sights .22 rifle.

If I had all of the guns above mentioned I think I would feel like I could come to a legitimate stopping place in my firearms acquisitions. Until I super rich at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment